The Schedule Calculator
This page allows you to calculate the best start time and schedule for your intended round. The information that you enter is used by other parts of this site to present only that information relevant to your preferences.
In order to have your successful round recognised you need to have registered your attempt. This is done using the form on the club's website.
Choosing when to set off really means “Which bit to do in the dark?” This depends on things like: How much does the dark affect your speed?; The ground underfoot; Waking your pacers at some ungodly hour. For a clockwise round:
- Not much difference from daylight speed over the first section but Hall’s Fell in the dark. Likely to be coming off Robinson in the Dark.
- Not much difference from daylight speed over the first section. Should get Hall’s Fell in the early light. You will be coming off Robinson in the dark.
- Helvellyn section in the dark - possibly too slow for this easy section but increasingly popular.
- Sort of the worst of all worlds - the easy bit of the first leg in the light, Hall’s Fell and a good bit of the next leg in the dark.
For an anti-clockwise round:
- A bit of a nightmare time to start, not much chance of a sleep beforehand. Effectively the opposite daylight wise of a midnight start on a clockwise round.
- A fairly civilised start time but with the Helvellyn section being in the dark
For those intending to attempt a fast (< 20hrs) then 0400 seems to be a popular choice.
Select your intended options on the form to the left. Holding your mouse over certain options will highlight appropriate help text.
For those with newer browsers (IE8, Firefox 3.5, Safari 4 or Chrome 4 or later versions) you have the option to add up to four extra schedules to the table on the Compare tab. If there are any such extra columns then the tab title will be along the lines of “Compare (3)”. Once four extra schedules have been added then the “Add” button will be greyed out.
Note that there is no “Save” button or action, everything is saved automatically.
There are various actions that you may perform on these columns. All of these are drag and drop in nature.
- To Delete a column
- Click and hold on the column title and drag it on to the dustbin icon. You can't do this with the default column.
- To make a column the default
- Drag the column title on to the twin arrows icon. The column will be swapped with the default. You can't do this with the default column.
- To create a printable schedule
- Drag the column title on to the printer icon. This is the same as clicking the “Show schedule” button on the calculator tab.
You can also right-click on the column title and a pop-up menu will appear with the same options.
The table below allows you to add and compare up to five schedules.
The second column is by default the first schedule you create and it is assumed that it is your intended schedule. By using the “Add” button on the calculator you may add a further four schedules.
The background of those sections on each schedule that will be in twilight have a mid blue colour while the night sections have a dark grey background. Hold your mouse over a cell to see the time take to reach each peak.
You can drag the title of any schedule on to one of the icons below to perform the relevant action. Right clicking on the column title will display the same actions.
- Swap with Default
- Show printable version